Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Dempster Signed!

Some good news after this whole Kerry Wood debacle.

Today the Cubs inked Ryan Dempster to a four year, $52 million deal.

Good for Demp and good for the Cubs. After seeing Woody takeoff, it was nice to retain Dempster who is perhaps our best clubhouse presence. Funny, gracious, kindhearted, great work ethic. The kind of guy you want on your ballclub.

Every year I have worked the Ron Santo Golf Experience for Juvenile Diabetes, Dempster has not only shown up, but been incredibly amicable to everyone in attendance, whether staff or participants. This last year he came and played despite having pitched an eight inning gem the night before which completed the Wrigley sweep of the South Siders.

When I met him for the first time briefly at the event in '05, he took up my autograph request with a "Sure, dude," and game me a very humble "Thanks buddy" after I complemented the season he was having.

All character issues aside, the guy had a great year. Our most consistent arm all season. I for one was skeptical when Lou decided to go with him in the rotation over Lieber. Shows what I know.

I leave you with Demp doing his Harry Caray impersonation at Spring Training in Mesa:

No comments: